Friday 7 August 2020

Porsche 996 Second Gear Change Problems

From when I bought my Porsche 911 the gearchange wasn't as great as I remembered from my previous 2001 model and second gear in particular could be quite difficult to select, occasionally popping out of gear if you didn't get the selection quite right.

Originally I thought it was a gearbox problem and preparing myself for a massive bill for rebuilding! I then was looking at the Gbox Detent product that replaces the original part in the gearbox to help the selection of gear. 

However there was also some information I read that suggested that worn engine/motor mounts could also affect the gear change as the old mounts can sag affecting the alignment of the engine and gearbox and thus the gear change too.

As the motor mounts looked to be original and well past their best as the exhaust was also showing signs of sagging on one side - a common symptom of poor mounts - I decided to change them. 

Porsche 996 Second gear change problems fixed
Porsche 996 gear selection problems - original engine mounts removed


The new engine mounts I decided to use were the Uro RS spec ones from Type911 shop. These had come highly rated from other members of the 996 forums and were a useful saving on the standard ones from Porsche at only £160 for the pair.

Porsche 996 gear selection problems
Uro 964/993 Engine mounts 

Changing the engine mounts might seem like a daunting task but it's actually one of the easier jobs to do on the car and took less than 30 minutes. There are only 3 bolts holding each mount in, one 18mm and two 13mm nuts to remove. The only thing that delayed me was requiring a deep 18mm socket to go over the end of the original bolt but once that arrived it was easy to do.


With the new motor mounts fitted the transformation is incredible. Gear change is now slick and precise. The difficulty with selecting second gear has gone and the driving experience is vastly improved. 

Porsche 996 gear selection new engine mounts fitted
Porsche 996 gear selection new engine mounts fitted

From expecting to have to pay thousands for a gearbox repair to fix the second gear pop out problems on my Porsche 996 I have a transformed car for a very reasonable price.

No comments:

Post a Comment