Monday 8 July 2019

Porsche 996 3.4 Engine Oil Change

One of the jobs I always do on a new car I buy is to change the oil so I know exactly what it is filled with and to start with a clean slate. Changing the oil on the Porsche 911 is one of the easiest oil changes that I've done because the oil drain plug is directly underneath the sump and can very quickly be accessed.
Porsche 996 Oil Change - old oil out
The biggest challenge was finding an oil drain pan large enough to contain the near 9 litres of oil that the 996 engine takes but a large tray did the job. The 10mm allen key sump plug was easy to remove and the oil flowed out quickly as I'd driven the car previously to ensure it was warm. I borrowed a friend's oil filter removal tool but it's one thing on the list to buy for next time.

I decided to use Mobil Super 3000 X1 5W40 oil rather than Mobil 1 as this had been recommended by Opie Oils to use in the car.

I checked the oil filter after removal and all looked good. Total cost for the oil and filter change was £65 and that includes an extra litre of oil for top ups as I bought 2 x 5 litre containers rather than 1 x5 plus 4 x 1 litre cans.

No comments:

Post a Comment