Tuesday 19 May 2020

Running Costs of Porsche 911 996 One Year On

I've now had my Porsche 911 for over 12 months and it's been quite a rollercoaster of activity and spending on the car. It's certainly needed much more attention than my previous 911 996 model but it was also nearly £2000 cheaper and 10 years older at the time I bought it.
Porsche 911 996 running costs

I think it would be fair to say that this 996 hasn't had the level of servicing and attention that it should have over recent years although it has only covered a very low mileage in that time.

Some of the costs I've incurred have been my choice such as replacing the front bumper and wheels as well as undertaking some of the maintenance of the car that wasn't strictly necessary from parts failure. However I'm keen to know the standard of maintenance that the car has had and being able to set a baseline of maintenance tasks that has been done means I know exactly what is on the car for future reference.
Track rod and tie rod ends replaced in August 2019 
New air conditioning condensers & radiators July 2019
Free fix to key fobs July 2019 and April 2020

One difference compared to my previous Porsche 996 is that this time I'm doing most of the maintenance myself so rather than paying Porsche £300 for an oil change I've done it for £70 for the cost of oil and filter. I've also managed to do some free or low cost fixes to the key fobs for example.

The total of all the spending on the car in the first year came to £2404. If I exclude the items that could have been left until they absolutely needed replacement or optional items such as the bumpers then I could probably have halved that total.

However by doing the spending now and preventative maintenance I'm hopefully stopping future issues and making breakdowns less likely because parts shouldn't fail.

It was outside of the 12 month calculation but one case in point was the coil packs. It was on my to-do list but before I could replace them the car started misfiring badly and needed urgent attention. If those had been replaced earlier and before they had disintegrated then I wouldn't have had the car off the road with the misfire.

No comments:

Post a Comment