Sunday 26 April 2020

Porsche 911 996 Windscreen Washer Broken

The windscreen washers had stopped working on my Porsche 996, initially I thought it was a cable/pipework fault as it coincided with some work being done on the air conditioning pipes which were in a similar area.

I did some checks and couldn't see any leaks or obvious problems under the bonnet so the next stage was to look at the washer pump and reservoir. These are located in the passenger side wheel arch (RHD drive cars) so you need to jack the car up, remove the wheel and liner to be able to access them.


Porsche 911 996 Windscreen Washer Broken
Porsche 911 996 Windscreen Washer Broken

Once the wheel arch liner is removed there is a 13mm bolt that holds the top of the washer reservoir in place. Remove this and the reservoir can be pulled out - there are 2 rubber bungs to the rear of the bottle that are held with suction into voids in the body so need to be pulled to remove.

There wasn't anything obviously wrong - again no leaks showing so I got my son to operate the wipers while I checked the reservoir. When the wipers worked there was no sound from the pump so it appeared that was the problem. To confirm I removed the plug from the pump and tested the plug with a multi-meter. This showed 12V when the wipers were operated so the wiring was fine. I managed to pick up a new pump from eBay for only £10. The part number is 996 628 172 00

Once I fitted the new pump and tested again it was all working fine so once the lockdown is over I can safely use the 911 again!


Porsche 911 996 Windscreen Washer pump replacement
Porsche 911 996 Windscreen Washer pump replacement

No comments:

Post a Comment