Friday 16 October 2015

Checks for Car Mileage Clocking - Evidence Clocking Still Happening

I'd always thought that clocking a car by reducing the mileage was something that was long since consigned to the history books as digital odometers and annual mileage records for MOTs took effect.

With the new DVLA MOT history checker launched I thought I'd check one of my old cars to see if it was still on the road. When the details came up it showed that it was but shockingly also showed that the mileage on the car was nearly 100,000 less than when I sold it!

Checks for Car Mileage Clocking - Evidence Clocking Still Happening
Checks for Car Mileage Clocking - Evidence Clocking Still Happening

When I was looking for my Porsche 911 I also found some evidence on a few cars for sale that the mileage didn't tie up with the records of the vehicle but it was surprising to see it happening on a car that I'd owned.

It was interesting to view the MOT vehicle history for VW Golf LT53ZCV since I sold it as the car has now miraculously lost 100,000 miles off the clock! I'd imagine it has made a massive difference to the value and the new owner probably paid a lot more than I sold it for.

I sold the car in August 2013 on the day I bought my Porsche 911 and at the time the mileage was 189,000. By the time of the next MOT in May 2014 the car only had 90,000 miles on the clock. The car was in immaculate condition when I sold it so it would have easily passed for a much lower mileage but somehow the MOT and service history must have also been "lost" over that time.

The site to check MOT history is via DVLA or https://mot-history.net/

If you want to view the details for the Golf the registration number was LT53ZCV if you use the link above.

No comments:

Post a Comment