Saturday 14 September 2013

Weight of Porsche 911 GT3 Sports Seats? How Heavy are GT3 Leather Seats?

How much do the comfort seats of a Porsche 911 (996 model) GT3 weigh?

I recently bought a set of Porsche GT3 leather seats to replace the seats in my 911 Carrera 2 Coupe. When I bought the car it had previously been fitted with seats from a 997 Model Carrera which I found to be rather hard and uncomfortable when driving long distances.

The GT3 seats had been removed from a 2005 Mark2 996 GT3 so that the owner could fit new bucket sports seats in.

Before fitting the GT3 Comfort seats to my 996 Carrera I weighed them to check how heavy they would be compared to the 997 Standard seats I was removing. I couldn't weigh the seats directly but stood on scales holding one and then weighed myself separately.

The net result of this scientific experiment was to find that the Porsche 911 GT3 Comfort spec seats weigh 22.8kg each with rails fitted. The weight of bucket sports seats for the GT3 can be below 10kg so this can be a reasonable weight saving with the lighter seats.

When investigating seat options for the Porsche 996 Carrera it was interesting to see how many different variants were produced either as comfort or sports options or the standard spec seats. There seem to be at least 5 different options across the different model Porsche 911s.
  • Standard leather seats
  • Standard seats with ruffled leather
  • Sports leather seats
  • GT3 comfort seats
  • GT3 sports seats

The Porsche 911 GT3 seats are now fitted in my Carrera 2 so I will be selling the 997 Metropole Blue seats on Ebay very soon.

Seat options for Porsche 996 Coupe
Seat options for Porsche 996 Coupe

What is the Weight of Porsche 911 GT3 Sports Seats? How Heavy are GT3 Comfort Seats?
What is the Weight of Porsche 911 GT3 Sports Seats? How Heavy are GT3 Comfort Seats?

No comments:

Post a Comment